- Space Saver: Use a canopy to draw the eye up and create the illusion of a high ceiling.
Frame a headboard with a canopy to draw the eye up to the ceiling. A simple swag of fabric loosely draped over two swing-arm curtain rods positioned just below the ceiling gives this cozy cottage room a romantic and elegant finish.
- Space Saver: Eliminate the need for extra furniture by putting the walls to work.
Built-ins above and next to the bed are great for small spaces. Store books and alarm clocks on shelves without taking up precious floor space. These displays also create instant artwork.
- Space Saver: Use the space under the bed.
Take advantage of the floor space under the bed to store linens, clothes, and shoes. Fill lidded baskets and slide them under the bed. Prevent scratched floors or snagged carpets by adding stick-on furniture sliders from a hardware store or home center to the bottoms of the baskets.
Front and Center
- Space Saver: Use windows as the focal point, centering furniture in front of them.
Conventional decorating wisdom says to position a bed against a wall, not in front of a window where it might block light and views. But in a small room, options are limited, and it's often better to create a strong focal point with a bed than to awkwardly push it to one side. A bank of bay windows creates a natural nook for this bed, and the pretty window treatments give the illusion of a canopy.
- Space Saver: Use neutral colors on the walls and on the bed to make a space feel larger.
Head of the Bed
- Space Saver: Create a focal point to distract from the small space.
Raise the Roof
- Space Saver: Choose sleek furniture that won't take up too much visual space.
Create a strong focal point and the illusion of grandeur with a four-poster. The thin lines of this metal bed frame add lofty ambience without weighing down the room.
- Space Saver: Use vertical stripes to draw the eye toward the ceiling and make the room seem instantly larger.
Paint an Accent Wall
- Space Saver: Create the illusion of depth.
- Space Savers: Use an oversize mirror to make the room appear larger.